Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Book #2


Over the weekend I read Anne Frank - The Diary of a Young Girl. I picked this up along 5 other books at a used book store, mostly out of embarrassment I had never read it. It is my understanding that this book is a likely candidate for middle school reading, and being that I did not complete this portion of my school in the States, I can hardly be blamed.  

This book, considered in the grand scheme of things, is a magnificent look at the trials of hiding, at the fear that being in hiding brought and at the guilt those in hiding carried. Also it is a profound look at the thoughts of a thirteen year old girl, who grows up with her thoughts and in spite of them. All in all I wish I had read this book when I was thirteen, since I would have found her irresistibly relatable.  


2 comments:

  1. When The Diary of Anne Frank was first published stateside it was heavily edited by her father. More recent editions have restored it to the original-her talking about coming to terms with puberty and other awkward stuff-form. I wonder which version you read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I wondered about that because she goes from wishing she would get her period to having had it a few times already. I have a really old version, looks just like the picture above.

      Delete