Thursday, January 5, 2012

Movie 2

Pleasantville 1998 - Gary Ross

Last night, my boyfriend and I watched Pleasantville. The selection process was interesting if not a little frustrating. We watch movies often, we love movies. But we also enjoy showing one another (or anybody willing to watch) movies we really like. I find myself often trying to pick between a movie neither of us has seen (the risky choice) and a movie I have seen and he has not. I get really psyched about showing people movies I have already enjoyed. That is until I realize what is riding on this choice. I become inevitably defensive of a movie, a movie I may in fact only "like a lot" but not quite "love". I also become worried for the entertainment of the person watching the movie I chose. I get nervous, hope they laugh at the right time, notice if they are fidgety in their seats.  It is anguish. 

Last night, quite pushed by the fact that I cannot afford to waste prime movie watching time, we picked a movie neither of us had seen. I had only a vague awareness of this movie's existence. Pleasantville is about a brother and sister who get sucked into a 1950's T.V. show about Pleasantville, a town where everything is pleasant and nothing bad ever happens. 

The beginning of the movie reminded me of an episode of the show Eerie Indiana, where one of the characters gets equally transported into an old T.V. show. I loved Eerie Indiana so I instantly liked the feel of this movie. I thought it was appropriate for the political climate in which we live in, and the idea that man often opposes that which he does not know. I was also glad I watched a movie that seemed a little silly (kids go into old TV show as a premise is kind of a meh concept to me). I tend to judge a book by it's cover and a movie by, well whatever I know about it. So, I hope that I continue to venture into movies that I am just not quite sure about. 


No comments:

Post a Comment