Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Week 1

Doing 50 movies and 50 books in one year amounts to about one of each a week. To me, looking at it this way makes it look more daunting, honestly! But here is where I am right now.

Book 1 - 

Man Seeks God -  by Eric Weiner

I got this book as a Christmas present and I am currently about 100 pages in. I am truly enjoying this read. It is not out of the ordinary for me, since I was a religious studies minor in college and am interested in the relationships people have with religions, insiders and outsiders. The writing is witty and very honest, by someone who is painfully aware of their internal state.  

Movie 1 - 

The Descendants (2011) - Alexander Payne

On Monday I saw The Descendants. I thought it was more of a drama than a comedy, but it is billed as both. It is the story of a family who is going through a tragedy. It depicts family dynamics, a failing marriage and death, managing to do so in a very day-to-day kind of way. I cried at the end, but I cry at sad commercials so that is just what it is. Payne also directed Sideways and About Schmidt, two movies I thoroughly enjoyed. 
------

These two sort of happened before I decided to start the 50/50 challenge, but I am looking forward to being more proactive in book/movie choosing since we cannot do repeats, as well as concentrating on a topic in particular.

1 comment:

  1. I just saw Descendents too! I was hoping it would make me cry but apparently I'm stone hearted or something. Good movie tho, thanks for signing up for 50/50!

    ReplyDelete